Meredith Cavallaro has been with the firm since October 2000. Her practice is dedicated exclusively to litigation, with a focus on employment litigation. She has been lead counsel defending corporations (and their directors and officers) in state and federal actions brought by classes and individual former employees alleging claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, breach of contract, wage and hour violations and tort claims. She regularly defends senior executives in discrimination cases involving claims for sex discrimination, sexual harassment, hostile work environment, racial and national origin discrimination, age discrimination, disability discrimination and pregnancy discrimination. She also regularly defends employers regarding non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, unfair competition, wrongful termination, breach of fiduciary duty and corporate trade secrets cases. She frequently appears before the EEOC, the New York Division of Human Rights, the NLRB, FINRA, the AAA, and in state and federal courts.
Meredith regularly counsels employers on complying with federal, state and local employment laws, rules and regulations. She counsels employers to devise strategies to avoid litigation and provides employee and management training on a variety of topics, including hiring, firing, harassment and discrimination. She conducts investigations of allegations of discrimination and harassment, and assists employers in conducting their own investigations.
Meredith also has extensive experience litigating commercial disputes, including securities-related matters and defending law firms in legal malpractice actions. She has defended public and private corporations in securities-related matters before state and federal courts and FINRA arbitration panels. She also has defended registered individuals in FINRA regulatory inquiries.
Meredith has been a member of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance since 2014. She was elected as co-chair of the Employment Practices Liability Committee.
Meredith speaks Spanish fluently.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Speaker/Panelist, Selected for the 2016 Southwest Employment Practices Liability CLM Conference, “Emerging Trends in Employment Litigation: Spotlight on Medical Cannabis in the Workplace, Website and Technology Access Claims and Joint Employer Liability”
- Speaker/Panelist, Selected for the 2017 CLM National Conference in Nashville, “2016 Employment Law Update – From Retaliation to Cutting Edge Evidence Being Offered in Employment Cases. What’s old is new in the employment legal landscape (and what’s new is new).”
- Speaker/Panelist, Selected for the 2018 CLM National Conference in Houston, “The ADA almost 30 years later: Judicial Activism Versus the Administrative Pullback and The Impact on The ADA’s Application to Websites”
- Speaker/Panelist, Selected for the 2018 RIMS Conference in San Antonio, “New Perspectives on Sexual Harassment Claims and Risk Management”
- Recognized as a New York Metro Super Lawyer
New York; United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
New Jersey; United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Hofstra University, B.A., 1996
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1999